Among other sweets to use up all the strawberries I mentioned in my last post, Chrissy is quite the fan of strawberry shortcake. Personally, when I think of strawberry shortcake, I'm thinking of a sponge cake–you know, something that actually involves cake. However, Chris and his family, for whom I'm making the shortcake, are more partial to the type of "shortcake" that's a cross between a biscuit and a scone. Mind you, I find these delicious and I certainly don't mind the shortcake biscuits being the vehicle for my strawberry and whipped cream consumption, I just think that a more cake-like substance is better. Nonetheless, here is a recipe for shortcake biscuits.
makes about 12
adapted from Joy of Cooking
2 cups ap flour
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1-1/4 cups cream
1. Preheat oven to 450°F
2. Mix dry ingredients together.
3. Add cream all at once and stir briefly. Then very gently knead the dough until all the flour is incorporated.
4. Roll out on a lightly flour surface until dough is a scant 3/4 inch thick and cut into 3 inch diameter circles. Re-roll extra dough and cut out more circles until all the dough is used.
5. Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Serve with strawberries that have been cut and macerated in sugar, and some whipped cream.