13 January 2013

Cocoa Wheat

Ever since I was a child I've like all the "Cream of" hot cereals--particularly rice and wheat. My mother bought the instant varieties that you could do up in the microwave, and I had huge bowls of it every morning. I didn't know though that I was being deprived of something even more amazing: CoCo Wheats. Well, I say more amazing, but really the store bought cereal CoCo Wheats don't hold a candle to the burning inferno that is the amazingness of homemade cocoa wheat. Seriously, it's fantastic. It might be that I have really delicious cocoa powder (definitely part of it), it might be that I don't care for the additives in the branded cereal, it might be a lot of things, but it certainly is heavenly.

Cocoa Wheat
serves 2

2 cups milk
2-1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1-1/2 tablespoons honey
1/3 cup farina
(pinch of salt)


1. Whisk the cocoa powder into the milk

2. Heat the milk over medium flame until simmering (I like to stir fairly often so the milk doesn't scorch or bubble over)

3. Add the honey (and salt if using)

4. Add the farina slowly (so as not to clump)

5. Cook the farina (still stirring) until thickened to preference (just a few minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment